Georg W. Claussen, son of Carl Claussen and his wife Martha (née Pulvermacher), was born in 1912, the grandnephew of founder Dr. Oscar Troplowitz in Hamburg. After several international trips and a commercial apprenticeship, he joined the company in 1938 – despite the doubts of his father. As of 1952, he was acting member of the board of Beiersdorf AG. Two years later, he became a full member and on June 28th, 1954, he was appointed Speaker of the Board. From 1957 to 1979, he was CEO of Beiersdorf AG, after his retirement in 1979 until 1987, he was Chairman of the Supervisory Board. From 1989, he was an Honorary Chairman.
Beyond Beiersdorf, Claussen was engaged with numerous other institutions. In 1982, on the occasion of the 100-year anniversary of the founding of Beiersdorf AG, he founded the Claussen-Simon Foundation, which above all supports scientifically and technically gifted young people. His social engagement was recognized with the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Richard Merton Badge of Honor of the Association for the Promotion of Sciences and Humanities in Germany and the Verfassungsportugaleser in Gold from the Hanseatic City of Hamburg, among other awards.